Friday, January 18, 2013

Blog #4: Project Log

When I thought about my project for this class, an idea immediately occurred to me. I have a keen interest in food history, so I knew it would be something related to that. Then I considered what I could make that would contribute to what is currently on the internet. I remembered that recently, when researching for an essay, I was frustrated with the fact that there was no single website for canadian cookbook history. So basically, I want to make a website where someone can find information on many cookbooks at once, rather than having to do a google search for every title or author.
So, this is what I've come up with so far: click.
Right now only one cookbook link (under 1825) works, just to be an example. I have added a bit of information under "Browse" and "Links & Bibliography", as a rough draft. The "Research" section will include more quantitative data - perhaps graphs and charts, as well as essay-type information for more scholarly visitors. The "Blog" section would be a more popular media for highlighting interesting recipes, books, tidbits of information, etc. I am also toying with the idea of including a recipe bank, like the one at The Henry Ford.
While I am proud of what I've thought up so far, it is not the scope I intended. On the other hand, at this point I think it might be taking on too much to go any farther. In this case, I think I might present this website as a component of a larger website. For example, the main website might be Canadian Cookbooks Timeline, with various sub-websites named:
  • Canadian Cookbooks Timeline
  • Pre-1825 Canadian Food History Online
  • Early Canadian Cookbooks Timeline (1825 - 1855)
  • Late 19th Century Canadian Cookbooks Timeline (1856 - 1900)
  • Early 20th Century Canadian Cookbooks Timeline (1900 - 1910)
  • Wartime Canadian Cookbooks Timeline (1914 - 1945)
  • Modern Canadian Cookbooks Timeline (1946+)
I think breaking up the information into manageable timelines would be necessary in a project with such a large scope. The main website might also have timelines organized by province and by cookbook type (community/fundraising cookbooks, advertising cookbooks, etc.).

1 comment:

  1. Anje, This is a great idea an excellent mockup with lots of potential. Are you aware that Special Collections has an extensive cookbook collection? http://www.lib.uoguelph.ca/resources/archival_&_special_collections/the_collections/digital_collections/culinary/culinary-collection/canadian-cookbooks/
    There might be an opportunity to add Guelph digital content to your site.

    Since you are ahead of the development curve here, don't worry about pruning ideas quite yet. This is an impressive start, for sure.

    ReplyDelete