Monday, February 4, 2013

Blog #7: Project Log

I've been working on my website a lot since my last project log. Most significantly, I completely overhauled the design. I really liked the way the dates were set up on the old version, but I couldn't get the dates to go in a straight line without making them super tiny and illegible, and I didn't like how it looked with two lines of dates. I thought about making a horizontal scrollbar, but I couldn't get it to work, for some reason.
So, in the new version, I went with two vertical frames. The left frame holds the timeline, which is now vertical and scrolls. The content appears in the right frame. I also completely changed the fonts and the color scheme, to something a little easier on the eyes.
As of now, the cookbook pages are incomplete. I just copied and pasted the HTML from La cuisinere bourgeoise so that each page would have the correct formatting. Later on, I'll go back and update all the information for each page.
Currently, I'm working on making sure the design is consistent in all the pages. Next, I need to work out how to incorporate the blog into the website. As of now, it's a little glitchy, and I need to put the links at the top. I also need to make pages for the dates in the timeline frame. Lastly, I'll need to input all the information into the cookbook pages (titles, dates, authors, etc.) and do the write-ups. If I get to it, I'll also try and include some data on the research page - perhaps a map, some statistics, etc.
Any comments or constructive criticism would be great!

2 comments:

  1. Anje, this is looking great. The bar on the left works well, although I wonder if you could combine the years into decades and then use pop-out menus so that no scrolling is needed. Perhaps a little Java is needed? Maybe Codecademy has a solution...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the hairdressing archaeologist is really neat!

    ReplyDelete