Thursday, March 14, 2013

Blog #14: Building a Website

I've made some more modifications to my website, although nothing too significant. The biggest change was that I linked up all the digitized cookbooks I could find online to the pages I had created.

In other news, I've been meeting with Melissa McAfee and I've started the process of digitizing a cookbook. I would have liked to do more than one, but at this point I don't have the time for that sort of commitment (I'll also write more about digitization later). Melissa also suggested I look at using Omeka. I also realized that you can sign up for a free account on Omeka.net...I'm kind of embarrassed that I missed that. However, I've been messing around with Omeka a bit and I wasn't really thrilled. Even though Melissa upgraded her account, there was still a huge restriction on themes (which you are unable to significantly alter) and plugins. Overall, I wasn't impressed, so I decided not to use Omeka.

I was also browsing the internet and came across a website called Wix. This website would be a great tool for our course, I think, as it provides free webspace and appealing templates which are highly customizable - and you don't need to know any HTML or CSS! The only drawbacks are that Wix puts two ads on website and that the URL is a bit ugly (username.wix.com/sitename). I'm considering using Wix, but we'll see. The website I'm creating is something that I want to be online forever, and I'm pretty sure that my student webspace will disappear a year or so after I graduate, so that bothers me. However, that's something I can focus on during my own time, and at this point I'm really into making content rather than design, since I present in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment